Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Too Much Too Soon

I have recently found myself in the realms of online dating. Over the past week, I have been in contact with a guy who seems pretty level-headed. As we have been asking and answering questions, I have been impressed with his insights and am interested in getting to know him better.

Then yesterday, he asked some questions that have hit a nerve. From his profile, I know that he is divorced and has kids. Yet, I was surprised to have him ask questions about how I would react if one of his kids was rude to me and how I feel about being in a relationship with someone who has kids. Personally, I am taking this one day at a time and still trying to figure out if there is even going to be a first date... let alone meeting the family.

I understand the fear of becoming close to someone and then having them walk away. Yet, I also feel that some things shouldn't be discussed until both parties have an opportunity to discover that they are interested in the other person. Honestly, if I met a great guy and we like each other, I am willing to meet his kids and consider becoming stepmom. Yet, I don't want to think about becoming stepmom to his kids until I know if I even like the guy.

Slow down... and get to know me first :)

2 comments:

Ganine said...

Hmmm..I can kindof see his point though from being a parent. When you are a parent and are even considering dating..you have to take into account of how your kids will react to them and vice versa.You kindof what all the info. upfront. Because kids from divorced families don't tend to handle dating very well. It is hard and when you have kids, it isn't about just your feelings anymore.
However, having said that I can see your point too. But, try to see his. Good luck girlie!!

Single Gal said...

I do understand that the kids do need to be taken into account in a dating relationship. Yet, there is a time and place for these topics to be discussed... and, in my opinion, the first date is not the time for these discussions.

Once it has been decided that there is a possibility of a relationship, then let's discuss it... even if it is on the 2nd or 3rd date... before the emotions begin to run deep.