Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Impact of Names

Last night, I attended a singles activity with some friends. They were talking with a guy whom I have seen before, but don’t really know him. We have only briefly talked a couple of times in the past year or so… more like a passing “hi” than anything else.

As he joined the conversation with my friends and myself, I was surprised to hear him call me by name. Not only was I surprised that he knew my name, but to be addressed within the conversation by name was powerful.

Several years ago, a roommate and I were discussing the power of using someone’s name. She reminded me of a scene in the movie Ever After

Danielle: Say it again.
Prince Henry: I’m sorry.
Danielle: No. The part where you said my name.

The sound of our name can be one of the sweetest sounds that we can hear. When someone addresses us by name, it makes the conversation more personal and has a positive impact. It also sends the message that the conversation is directly geared towards the person addressed. By addressing someone by name, the sender indicates that it is important for the receiver to receive the message… and that what is being said is a personal message to the receiver.

This is one habit that I would like to develop :)

No comments: